Many buyers make an emotional connection to a home the moment they pull up in the driveway. This makes the outside of your home just as important as the spaces inside. Here are five ways to upgrade curb appeal without a heavy investment:
1. Add Some Fresh Paint. A fresh coat of paint is always a good choice. However, if you don’t have the budget to paint your entire house, consider buying a gallon or two to freshen up the trim, shutters and doors. And remember, neutral colors are key!
2. Upgrade the Mailbox. If your mailbox looks out of sorts in your neighborhood, or is old and weathered, consider upgrading. Mailboxes might seem trivial, but they are certainly part of the overall experience when buyers drive up. A mailbox is like the first handshake—it speaks volumes about the character of the home.
3. Replace Old House Numbers. Houses with old or faded house numbers can look old and faded too. Consider replacing old numbers with new ones, or, if your home has none, add some. Like your mailbox, this little detail can set the tone of what’s to come inside.
4. Update the Light Fixtures. Light fixtures on your patio and at your front door can make a big impact on what your buyer thinks about your home, even in the daytime. Interior light fixtures that are dated may deter buyers as well. Simple lighting upgrades can make your home feel newer and, if chosen wisely, won’t not cost a fortune.
5. Bring in Flowers and Plants. Depending on the season, consider adding some potted plants pots in a variety of staggering sizes and styles: lush green plants and annual flowers. These add a fresh pop of color and texture to your entry.
Bonus Tip: Don’t forget about your backyard and patio too. Backyards can sell homes—so if you do some freshening up in front, be sure to carry that through to the back as well. New paint, lighting and plants should all be considerations.
Interested in having a market analysis done on your home? Click here to request a referral to a real estate agent in our free HomeAdvantage® program. These agents are top professionals in their field, and can help you advise you on how to get the most return on your investment. Click here to submit your request [link to the HomeAdvantage Market Evaluation form] or contact us at 703.750.4394.
Program Disclaimer *The HomeAdvantage® program is made available to you through a relationship between Washington Gas Light FCU and CU Realty Services. Cash Rewards are awarded by CU Realty Services to buyers and sellers who select and use a real estate agent in the HomeAdvantage network. Home buyers or sellers are not eligible for Cash Rewards if they use an agent outside this network. Using Washington Gas Light FCU for a mortgage is not a requirement to earn Cash Rewards. Cash Rewards amounts are dependent on the commissions paid to the agent. Washington Gas Light FCU may have specific rules on how your Cash Rewards will be paid out. Cash Rewards incentives are available in most states; however, are void where prohibited by law or by the lender. Please consult with your credit union to get details that may affect you.